My first unprofessional act

Last night, I was working a homework assignment for my Visual Basic 6 class. I was looking for a bug that the compiler was giving me a hard time about, and naturally, I got mad. I asked in a programming forum for help (http://www.dreamincode.net), but in the end, I ended up lashing out at someone that at the time didn't seem to be helping. I looked at what they were trying to say, came to the conclusion that the post was unhelpful and did something that I didn't fully understand until it was too late. I ended up commenting that what he posted was wrong and clicked on "No" under "Was this post helpful?" The only problem with that, was that not only did I hurt my own reputation, but I received my first post saying a user will never help me again (at least to my knowledge right now). I have already posted a reply to apologize for my behavior. I guess the only downside to text-based communications, is that it is often hard to not come off as an insulting jerk.

The lesson that I learned was that I should always read what I am about to submit. I also learned never to jump to conclusions. Even though the post itself was not useful at the time, I should have never lashed out at him for it. It was almost midnight (MST) and I was angry. Instead of backing off from the assignment like I should have, I persisted on thinking somehow I would get the final answer. It wasn't until towards the end that I asked for help when I got impatient and angry. And when I finally ended up posting the assignment to my teacher as-is, I got a response the next day. I was so upset that I was blunt with what I said, and essentially struck a blow to the responder with a "No." I regret for what I have done, and hope in the future that I never do anything as harsh as this again. I have already sent an apology post to him and I hope that at the very least he reads it. If he doesn't read it, or refuses to accept the apology, then at least I sent one.

UPDATE: He accepted the apology.

Comments