Shutdown utility

Lately, I have been focusing on school work since I have 4 online courses. But every now and then, I have been working on the shutdown utility. Right now, I am using the versions on Windows 7 as a comparison, however I will be using the API functions from Windows XP or earlier to power it. So at the moment, I don't have any concern about any negative reaction from the ReactOS community.

As I was working on the shutdown utility, I learned some lessons. For one, when developing API functionality in ReactOS, make sure that the function(s) will be supported in XP since that is the present target for the ReactOS project. One user stated concern that if the current target is Windows XP and we add in API found in Windows Vista or later, that some programs may confuse ReactOS for a later version of Windows. I also found myself spreading my work too thinly across the tool itself. One of the features of the shutdown utility in Windows 7 is the ability to show a GUI version of the tool. However, there was a lot of work to be done in the main tool itself before any work could be done on the GUI code. I quickly found myself going back an forth to get the code to work so much, that I eventually had to scrap whatever GUI related code I had and work on everything else. Right now, the only code that is related to the GUI code is detecting the flag for running the GUI interface. Since it doesn't do anything, all it does is exit the program successfully. Right now, I am just working on the core functionality.

Right now, I am close to posting something to Bugzilla for the community to see. But at the moment, I am looking over the code again to make sure that I didn't miss anything, and am going to compile it before I submit it to Bugzilla to make sure that I don't have to resubmit any patches.

Have a great day! :)

UPDATE: The patch is now posted here. Just be aware that right now it doesn't compile since there's something wrong with the resource files. I was hoping that someone would find out what the problem is coming from.

Comments